Thursday, November 8, 2012

Not just for the country lovers

By John Richards

I have never been a fan of country music. I am not vehemently opposed to the genre like some, but I also historically have never had any country tracks on my iPod/iPhone either. So no one is as surprised as I am that I have fallen fast and hard for ABC’s new drama Nashville. The show stars Connie Britton, aka Tami Taylor from Friday Night Lights, as Rayna James, the reigning Queen of Country in Nashville. But, Rayna’s hold on the crown is waning and is being challenged by an up and coming young superstar Juliette Barnes, played by Hayden Panettiere. The show’s characters are definitely intended to represent real life singers such as aging Faith Hill and pop superstar Taylor Swift. The season has started off with the two ladies fighting over tours, music, and of course, male guitarists.

But that isn’t what hooked me. I mean, I enjoy a good drama like anyone else, and this show serves the drama up beautifully. The show got me with the actual music. Trust me, my brain asplode as much as you, but watch this before you say anything else:


Yeah, I know right? Freaking good. A lot of the music for the show is being written by singing duo The Civil Wars. Google them if you want to increase your folk music collection’s awesomeness by a factor of 17. Oh and the two actors singing the song? Ya, that’s them actually singing. And get this, they are both foreign! An Aussie and Brit are crooning slow, melodramatic country. Slow clap.

I will always give a new show a one episode chance and this time I was not disappointed in the least. You won’t be either. Nashville is on Wednesdays on ABC.

*For all men trying to take away my man card, I have 5 words for you: Tami Taylor and Hayden Panettiere. You’re welcome.

John is currently pursuing a JD/MBA at Santa Clara University School of Law. He likes sports, technology, and of course television. Follow him on twitter @j_rich or check out his blog www.johnericrichards.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment